Electronic Gun Safe Locks
Champion gun safes are designed to be fitted with an electronic keypad lock from Kaba Mas’ La Gard or from Sargent & Greenleaf, two of the highest-quality electronic lock makers in the industry. Champion Safe Co. will provide full instructions with your new safe that outlines how to change the combination on the electronic lock. As soon as you have changed the factory lock combo, you must call Champion’s customer service team and provide them with your new lock combination. Failure to do so will render the warranty void as Champion will be unable to assist with lost lock combinations or other lock issues.
Many customers are concerned that a dead battery will result in the electronic lock “forgetting” their combination, locking them out of their gun safe. However, the battery’s function is to provide power to allow transmission from the keypad to the locking mechanism. The actual combination is stored by the safe’s electronics, separate from the battery. Furthermore, the electronics on which the combination is stored and the motor that powers the lock’s deadbolt are protected by the safe’s relocker, and the protective anti-drill hard plate, ensuring that any attempts to tamper with your electronic lock will be unsuccessful.
Sargent And Greenleaf Electronic Gun Safe Locks
Founded in 1856, Sargent & Greenleaf’s electronic safe locks represent the culmination of over 150 years of security experience combined with cutting-edge electronic technology. Sargent & Greenleaf’s Spartan PivotBolt model is designed to automatically lock, ensuring that the safe is secured whenever its boltwork is fully extended in a closed position.
- Opening the Lock: Sargent & Greenleaf’s electronic safe locks are secured with a six-character code of numbers and letters, with the master code from the factory set as 123456. To open the lock, enter your code and press pound. On a correct entry, the lock will open for about six seconds; for security, the lock will then relock if the safe isn’t opened. Mistakes during code entry can be deleted by pressing “**”, and any pauses exceeding ten seconds will cause the lock to reset.
- Invalid Combination Entry Errors: To deter attempts to gain entry to your safe by guessing your code, Sargent & Greenleaf’s electronic locks will activate a penalty lockout feature which prevents the lock from opening for 10 minutes after five consecutive incorrect code entries. The lock will not take any input during the penalty lockout period, and pressing any additional keys during the lockout period will extend the penalty by a few seconds.
- Changing the Battery: Your Sargent & Greenleaf electronic lock will signal the need for a battery change with twenty rapid beeps upon code entry. If you would like to check the charge of your lock’s battery, press 89* on the keypad. A single beep designates a weak battery, and a double beep indicates a strong battery. Press * to reset the lock after completing a battery check. Sargent & Greenleaf’s electronic locks operate on a single 9-volt Duracell alkaline battery.
Kaba Mas’ La Gard Series Electronic Gun Safe Locks
Kaba Mas has established themselves as a leader in electronic lock technology worldwide, and their La Gard series locks are designed to give you the peace of mind that comes from knowing that access to your guns is restricted, while also allowing easy entry if you need to reach your guns quickly.
- Opening the Lock: The La Gard series of electronic locks are secured with a six-digit combination, set to 123456 by the factory. When the correct combination is entered, the lock will beep twice to confirm. The lock will remain unlocked for four seconds from this confirmation before automatically relocking.
- Invalid Combination Entry Errors: When an incorrect combination is entered, the lock will beep three times. A five-minute lockout period will begin after four consecutive incorrect combination entries, and the lock’s LED display will flash red every ten seconds during this period. Once the original lockout period has expired, an additional five-minute lockout period will be triggered by entering the incorrect combination twice in a row. The lock’s keypad will remain unresponsive during the lockout period.
- Changing the Battery: Kaba Mas recommends changing the battery on their La Gard series locks once a year, whether a change is indicated or not. An immediate need for a battery change is indicated by a flashing LED display and repeated beeping upon opening. If the battery is completely dead and the lock will not open, change the battery by sliding the keypad housing up and off the mounting surface and exposing the battery compartment. Unsnap the connector from the two terminals at the top of the old battery and replace with a new battery; note that the La Gard series takes a single 9-volt alkaline battery. Replace the keypad housing, making sure that no cables or wires are caught. Remember that all UL-rated electronic locks have a non-volatile memory, allowing it to retain its programming with the battery removed.
How To Replace Your Electronic Gun Safe Lock
If you are looking to replace or change your lock to a dial lock, the best approach is to call Customer Service at 801.377.7199. A Champion Safe Co. professional will be able to explain the options, cost, what steps are necessary, and what is required in order to retain the lock warranty. Champion Safe will ship a new lock from our warehouse.
Our Gun Safes’ Electronic Lock Warranty
The La Gard and Sargent & Greenleaf electronic locks come with a two-year warranty. Extended lock warranties are available from Champion Safe Co. for our electronic locks. Choose from a 10-year, 15-year or, lifetime lock warranty to ensure that you will never have to worry about the high cost of repairing or replacing the safe’s lock.